From when I was young, technology has been an essential tool to solving problems. By combining a wide range of experiences with a background in development, I develop solutions which span across technological and disciplinary boundaries.
My passion is helping to develop transparent systems, helping bridge the impasse between human ergonomics and technology with minimal impact upon the user.
Innovating Solutions for Diverse Challenges
Director of Systems Engineering - Ookla
August 2015 – Present
Cyber Security Consultant - Ernst and Young
- Experience with assessing and implementing PCI3, NIST, and ISO 27001 security standards.
- Serving as core cloud architect for partnership between Microsoft and EY. See: http://goo.gl/EgNJkY
- Selected as technical lead for an enterprise wide encryption audit for a Fortune 100 company.
- Lead development in producing a distributed application to optimize the data storage efficiency across disparate file stores at the petabyte scale, saving the company an estimated $3.97M annually.
- Selected as lead subject matter expert for datacenter resiliency evaluation.
- Developed a review process for processing security exceptions at a Fortune 100 software company.
- Developed an HTML5 web application to automate 56 manual steps of a testing process. Reduced median execution time from 47min to 2min and errors by 24%.
- Directly interact with client leadership to understand their functional requirements in order to develop customized solutions that seamlessly integrate with their business models.
System Architect and Co-Founder - Wild Wing Studios
- Designed and developed the HA clustered server and application infrastructure.
- Third party audit performed by LoadImpact resulted in a performance analysis of 12,000 req/s @ 117ms mean TTFB.
- As measured by Pingdom FPT, average client website delivery time is 76% faster than industry average.
- Directly interact with potential clients to develop customized solutions for technical issues.
Lead Engineer - MIST Systems
- Worked with Ian Palmgren and Evan Griffith to develop MIST, a standalone cloud infrastructure which can be deployed in disaster zones.
- MIST contains dedicated hardware, software, and a mobile application to enable disaster relief workers to better cordinate relief efforts and collect information for future academic research.
- Responsible for designing, testing, and fabricating the hardware framing, server, and networking portions of MIST.
- Responsible for the backend API, assisted in the development of the app, and created the marketing video and poster for our project.
- MIST was awarded first place for both the Social Impact Award and the Audience Choice. More information on the iSchool website here.
Linux Developer - University of Washington
- Created a custom Linux server distribution for the school of Informatics to function as the teaching cornerstone for the course: Information Needs, Searching, and Presentation.
- This OS serves as a platform for students to learn about search engine mechanics, and leverage technologies such as Hadoop, Lucene, and Nutch, to develop their own search engines over the course of ten weeks.
- Performed all technical lectures and assisted in developing course curriculum.
Manager - Montlake Consulting Group
- Montlake Consulting Group is an accomplished student organization at the University of Washington which provides consulting services to Fortune 500 companies, nonprofits, and startups.
- Responsible for leading a five to ten person team in developing solutions over a ten week time frame while securing new clients for future engagements.
IT Specialist - University of Washington
- Supervising server, lab, and presentation technology within the Foster School of Business.
- Responsibilities include integrating large scale computer deployments, programming and maintaining Crestron control systems, and developing virtualized computing solutions.
Global IT Risk and Assurance Intern - Ernst and Young
- One of 35 interns selected for the Global Student Experience from Ernst and Young’s (EY) 2,300 interns nationwide.
- One of the 5 top performing interns nationwide, who were then selected as candidates for EY’s Global Performance Improvement practice.
- Worked within EY’s Performance Improvement team in Tel Aviv, Israel, to design a unified SAP platform across a multinational pharmaceutical firm.
- Assisted a Seattle based Fortune 100 company in a risk analysis for their datacenter fabric and created an internal data science tool to inspect their live and historical metrics.
- Discovered and documented a security oversight which could allow malicious parties to bypass user authentication mechanisms in an ISO/IEC 27001:2005 accredited cloud service.
UX Design Engineer - Ramp Technology Group
- Worked with Fortune 500 companies and private institutions to develop successful user experience designs for both external and internal projects.
- Responsibilities spanned from initial information architecture and prototyping to final development.
Software Development Intern - Janicki Industries
- Independently designed, built, and deployed an internal HTML5 web application for mobile and desktop clients to improve department efficiency, resource tracking, and spending analysis within an ITAR/ISO9001 accredited facility.
- This application leverages the different data-stores held at Janicki, enabling employees to access previously disparate information in a cohesive manner.
- Reduced common task execution time over 250% and equipment audit time was reduced by 460%. Project was deemed impossible by supervisors; I completed it in six weeks.
University of Washington
|Major||Informatics - Information Architecture Focus|
|GPA (Major)||3.91 / 4.0 - Top 5%|
|GPA (Overall)||3.72 / 4.0|
|Graduation Date||June, 2014|
Departmental Honors Recipient
University Honors Graduate
|Awards||2014 iSchool Capstone - Social Impact Award
2014 iSchool Capstone - Audience Choice Award
NASA Space Grant Recipient
|Honors Database Management and Information Retrieval||4.0 / 4.0|
|Search Engine Algorithm Design||4.0 / 4.0|
|Search Engine Computational and Storage Fabric||4.0 / 4.0|
|Advanced Database Design||3.9 / 4.0|
|Design Thinking||3.8 / 4.0|
|Project Management||3.8 / 4.0|
|Information Ethics and Policy||3.7 / 4.0|
|Responsive Web Technologies||4.0 / 4.0|
|Information Structures||4.0 / 4.0|
|Server-Side Web Technologies||3.9 / 4.0|
|Advanced Research Methods||3.9 / 4.0|
|Masters Course - Big Data Analysis Technologies||3.8 / 4.0|
|Distributed Applications and Computing Networks||3.8 / 4.0|